Transit safety tips for a spooky and safe Halloween
Halloween weekend is almost here and, for many of us, that means dressing up in costume, gathering with friends or trick-or-treating. If you’ll be using transit to get to any of your Halloween events, Transit Police has tips to keep you safe.
Take extra care when choosing Halloween costumes. Face masks are mandatory on transit, so consider incorporating one into your costume. Put some thought into your props before stepping on transit. Costume weapon props, such as replica handguns, hatchets, knives, swords, etc., can be a problem. Ask yourself, “is there any chance that this item could be mistaken for the real thing?” If the answer is “yes” and someone calls the police, it might put your safety at risk. If in doubt, leave the prop at home or pack it away out of sight securely for the entire duration of your transit journey.
Consumption of liquor in public is illegal. This includes on board all buses, trains, and the SeaBus. If you are carrying liquor on transit, ensure it remains closed until you arrive at your destination. The fine for consuming liquor in public is $230. Vaping or smoking Cannabis anywhere on the Transit system is prohibited and can result in a $230 fine.
Tips for staying safe on transit:
- Familiarize yourself with TransLink safety features.
- Stay alert to your surroundings. Avoid being engrossed in your electronic device. Consider removing one earbud to stay in tune with what’s going on around you.
- Plan your journey ahead of time and make sure you appear confident and know where you’re going. Check the time that service on your route stops for the night, to avoid being stranded; know which NightBus will get you home, if needed.
- If travelling in a group, establish a meeting place in the event you are separated. (Mobile phones can get lost and batteries can die)
- Be visible as you make your way to and from transit. Wear bright costumes or include reflective tape, glow sticks, or other articles that improve visibility. Get more pedestrian safety tips from ICBC.
Use Text Code 87.77.77 to discreetly send us information regarding non-emergency situations on the bus, train or SeaBus. Save the text code in your phone contacts in advance, so it is ready to use if you need it.
By working together, we can ensure that your experience on our transit system will be a safe one. Have a safe and Happy Halloween on our system! Text us directly and discreetly at 87.77.77 or call us at 604.515.8300. Always call 911 in an emergency.
See Something, Say Something!