If you’re heading off to school on transit by yourself for the first time next week – or you have a child who is – it can be a bit overwhelming. No need to worry though because we’re here to help. Follow our tips to enjoy a safe and stress-free commute.
- Know how to call for help – save our contact numbers in your mobile phone: 604.515.8300 or 87.77.77 for texts. Learn about security features on the transit system. Look for transit staff during your journey. Transit Police, SkyTrain Attendants and Canada Line Attendants are often found near the ticket machines or on platforms.
- Be confident about where you’re going – plan your route. Leave early so you’re not rushed. Have another route ready as a backup in case there’s a delay on your primary route. Sign up for Transit Alerts.
- Keep your personal belongings safe – take your backpack off and put it at your feet. Keep any valuables securely hidden in your bag. Be careful with your phone and other devices, especially when standing near transit vehicle doors.
- Be aware of your surroundings –stay in designated waiting areas when possible. Keep one earbud out of your ear so you can hear what’s going on. If you see someone acting in a way that makes you nervous, quietly move away – go to another part of the platform, sit closer to the bus driver, switch SkyTrain cars at the next station, etc. Share your concern with staff.
- Report problems – whether someone has touched you inappropriately, you see another person being harassed, you’re worried about the well-being of someone slumped over in a seat, or there’s something else causing you concern, please let us know. Text 87.77.77 and someone will respond right away.
Transit is a great way to get to school and back. We want you to enjoy your trip.