New Westminster – Metro Vancouver Transit Police are committed to ensuring that everyone has a safe ride on our transit system and reaches their destination safely. With Honda Celebration of Light festivities beginning tomorrow night, July 29, 2017, and continuing the following Wednesday and Saturday nights, trains, buses and the SeaBus will be extremely busy and often filled to capacity during the afternoons and evenings.
While our officers will be on duty in high visibility roles throughout the transit system, we are asking the public to assist us in keeping our system safe. We ask that our passengers remain vigilant and report any problems or anything out of the ordinary to us……….See Something, Say Something. Enter our Text Code, 87 77 77 into your mobile devices so that you can report any issues to us, discreetly and in real time. This will give us the opportunity to deploy our officers quickly and efficiently. In an emergency call 911, whenever possible.
Anyone choosing to take transit should consider the following:
- Make a note of the time of your last train, bus or SeaBus and leave enough time to get there to avoid being stranded. Check the Trip Planner on TransLink’s website.
- When travelling with young children, hold their hand to prevent being separated from them.
- If travelling in a group, agree on a meeting spot prior to travel in the event you are separated.
- Avoid being engrossed in your personal electronic device – consider removing one ear bud to stay in tune with what’s going on around you.
- Be aware of your surroundings and present yourself confidently on your journey.
Protect your belongings
- Keep purses secure and carry wallets in an inside pocket.
- Have your Compass Card ready so your wallet is out of sight.
- Keep all electronic devices close to you and, when not in use, out of sight.
- Be especially vigilant when sitting or standing near doors.
- Make sure you are familiar with safety features throughout the system such as two-way intercoms and silent alarms (yellow strip) on trains.
- Do not hesitate to use the red emergency phone located on train platforms to summon help from transit staff in an emergency.
- Approach uniformed Transit Police officers, SkyTrain Attendants, Canada Line Attendants, SeaBus Attendants or Transit Security if you need assistance.
- Be mindful of fast moving trains approaching stations – stay behind the yellow line.
- Remember that consuming liquor in public, including while on transit or transit property, is against the law and carries with it a possible $230.00 fine.
- Being intoxicated in public, including while on transit or transit property, is also against the law. Please enjoy events responsibly, keeping in mind your personal safety and the safety of others.
By working together, we can ensure that your experience on our transit system will be a safe one. Enjoy the Celebration of Light!
Text us directly and discreetly at 87 77 77 or call us at 604-515-8300. See Something, Say Something!