As a new school year begins, transit will soon be bustling with students, many of whom are navigating the system for the first time. If you’re new to using transit by yourself – or you have a child who is – it can sometimes feel a bit overwhelming. We hope our Top 5 safety tips will help you feel more confident during your journey.
- Plan your trip before you go. Use Trip Planner and sign up for Transit Alerts.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Avoid poorly lit or isolated areas.
- If someone is making you feel unsafe, move away from the area. Alert transit staff or text Transit Police.
- If possible, sit in an aisle seat to avoid feeling trapped if someone who makes you uncomfortable sits beside you. (If someone then wants to sit in the window seat, be sure to move aside to let them in)
- Save our contact numbers in your mobile phone before you need them: 604.515.8300 for calls, and 87.77.77 for texts. Let us know if you don’t feel safe. Call 911 in any emergency.
If you happen to be passing through Bridgeport Station on Tuesday, September 5 between 10:00 am and 1:00pm, please stop to say hello. Transit Police officers and volunteers will be there to share safety information and answer any questions you may have.
To learn more, read our full list of safety tips, or watch the video