As the school year begins next week with closer-to-normal in-person learning, many students will need to take transit to school. If you’re heading off to school on transit by yourself for the first time– or you have a child who is – especially, during a pandemic, it can be a bit overwhelming. We hope these safety tips help you feel more confident in your journey.
- Know how to call for help – save our contact numbers in your mobile phone: 604.515.8300 for calls, and 87.77.77 for texts. Learn about security features on the transit system. Look for transit staff during your journey. Transit Police, SkyTrain Attendants and Canada Line Attendants are often found near ticket machines or on platforms.
- Be confident about where you’re going – plan your route. Leave early so you’re not rushed. Have another route ready as a backup in case there’s a delay on your primary route. Sign up for Transit Alerts.
- Keep your personal belongings safe – take your backpack off and put it at your feet. Keep any valuables securely hidden in your bag. Be careful with your phone and other devices, especially when standing near transit vehicle doors.
- Be aware of your surroundings – stay in well-lit areas. Keep one earbud out of your ear so you can hear what’s going on. If you see someone acting in a way that makes you uncomfortable, quietly move away – go to another part of the platform, sit closer to the bus driver, switch SkyTrain cars at the next station, etc. Share your concern with transit staff.
- Report problems – whether someone has touched you inappropriately, you see another person being harassed, you’re worried about the well-being of someone slumped over in a seat, or there’s something else causing you concern, please let us know. Text 87.77.77 and someone will respond right away.
If you’re able to, wear your face mask at all times while onboard transit vehicles. Consider leaving your mask on while you’re waiting at bus stops, or while moving through transit stations. If someone who is not wearing a mask makes you uncomfortable, try your best to keep physical distance from them. Remember that some people have a legitimate need for an exemption from the mandatory mask policy. Read more about the policy here.
Transit is a great way to get to school and back. We hope you enjoy your trip.
Follow Transit Police on Twitter
Find Transit Police on Instagram